Mattoon has a thriving workforce that meets the needs of area employers and residents/employees. A variety of innovative programs involving businesses and educational institutions have raised awareness of available jobs, needed skills, and business opportunities.
Check Out the different Workforce Programs that Mattoon and the surrounding area already has available to you!!!
- Regularly survey employers to determine workforce needs
- Research skills gaps in Mattoon and rural Illinois
- Work with local educational institutions (K-12 and college/universities) to develop courses that meet the needs of area employers
- Develop programs with the high school that get students into local businesses to gain real-world experience
-Collaborate with the high school on-the-job training programs
-Offer more job shadowing for K-12 students including jobs in agriculture and STEM
-Create high school job fairs with local businesses
- Develop summer internship programs with local businesses
- Create a series of workshops/classes for underemployed and unemployed
–Offer workshop on underemployment
-Collaborate with the current workforce on programming
-Create an environment to promote strong work ethics
-Enhance program to address drug problems
-offer literacy programs
- Improve public transportation to and from major employers
Possible Projects: Expand Dial-A-Ride to manufacturing facilities
- Work with grade schools to begin introducing students to careers
- Develop an educational marketing campaign stressing the importance of vocational education.
Possible Projects: Find data on the current percentage of students entering the workforce from high school
- Assist employers in starting mentoring programs to improve employee retention
- Encourage employers to offer competitive salaries and benefits to attract workers
- Build relationships between the vocational training programs and the businesses that need workers.
- Develop a workforce development center
- Start vocational trade school for youth or career academy