Mattoon is a destination for the region with a wide variety of cultural and artistic assets as well as year-round festivals and events. Visitors enjoy public spaces and event venues that invite interaction and community building
- Develop a marketing plan for Mattoon as a destination/tourism center.
-Develop digitally cultural list for maps, brochures, activities etc
-Find community strengths and advertise them
-Develop community presence on TripAdvisor and other websites/social media
-Add a digital billboard historic downtown Mattoon
-Promote Lake Mattoon
-Develop rest area brochures
-Develop a promotional website and social media
-Promote Mattoon Activities/events
- Partner with the tourism board
- Develop new events and festivals.
Possible projects: organize more downtown celebrations, parades, and festivals
- Improve and expand Bagelfest
-Move the Bagelfest to downtown
-Organize a bags tournament
-Offer live bingo
-Schedule a live band
- Offer more fitness events such as the Tough Mudder
- Enhance and expand community events.
Possible projects: enhance trunk or treat
- Develop a wine trail from Westervelt to Olney with Mattoon in the middle
- Develop more attractions such as the Lightworks in Peterson Park
- add electric charging stations to appeal to electric car enthusiasts
- Develop a unique attraction to differentiate Mattoon from the “next town”
Possible projects: Develop the world’s largest…..
- Expand downtown streetscaping project
Possible projects: expand parking, add a water feature
- Coordinate tourism with historical attractions
- Develop retail/dining to appeal to tourists and local residents
-Attract antique shops
-Develop/recruit a micro brewpub
-Develop a flea market based on the 3rd Sunday Market in Bloomington