10/11/18: You’re invited to take our survey about the business incubator and or co-working space that we’re working to set up at the Cross County Mall. The survey closes 10/19/18 so share the link with your friends!
9/20/18: Update: We’ve applied for a Google Grant!
We’ve received a number of letters of support for this grant application.
Watch the video from the Coles County “Class-E” high school student entrepreneurship class explaining why our application should be funded. Check out our Pinterest page to see what we think the business incubator can be.
A big “Thank You!” to all the people who helped put this application together on a tight deadline.
Robust Economy Vision:
Mattoon has a robust local economy due to its innovative business attraction and development plan which leverages infrastructure, offers progressive incentives, and develops industrial properties including infrastructure to attract businesses.
- Develop a business incubator
– Target specific industries for the incubator(s) to fuel growth
– Partner with Eastern Illinois University and/or Lake Land College
– Develop a partnership with Rural King
- Develop a business recruitment/attraction program
– Market available funding such as the revolving loan program
– Create a regional approach to marketing and business attraction
– Improve and expand Mattoon’s digital footprint
– Create an improved banding name
– Market Mattoon on a billboard on I-57
- Incentivize the development of the Route 16 corridor
- Develop strong network infrastructure
– Develop human capital
– Install hardware
- Form teams to assist new business start-ups, target and attract businesses, and retain current businesses
– Create a range of assistance/expertise offered to include marketing, financing, insurance requirements, law compliance, accounting/taxes
– Recruit people with specialized expertise to offer pro-bono business counseling
- Create an Industrial Park with shovel-ready sites
- Develop a plan to attract secondary suppliers and customers for local industries
- Launch entrepreneurship mentoring programs for adults
- Develop a retail town center
Possible Projects: Develop a plan modeled on West Des Moines, IA
- Develop a standard package of business incentives
- Create an economic / business developer position and standing committee
- Promote the transition to a city manager system